Saturday, April 03, 2010

POETRY--TO CENTER OR NOT

April 3, 2010

In two days we've learned that centered and rhyming poems are obsolete. Who knew? I didn't. But, I found out centering was a no-no AFTER I sent one of my masterpieces to a contest. Trust me, I didn't win and I received quite a scolding for my apparent faux pas.

Since the woman's critique, I have left justified every poem I write. What a difference it's made in my poetry. Moving my words to the left has given me the freedom to express myself in ways I've never experienced before. I no longer worry so much about the mechanics. Now I sit down and write whatever pops into my head. Glory Hallelujah!!!

If you are one of those who centers their poems--I suggest you go to the dark--OH, I mean left side. You too will feel a new found freedom.

Love,
nettie

PS: And, as promised, here is one of my poems:

WHAT WOULD I DO DIFFERENTLY?

What would I do differently?
The writing prompt asked today.
Pondering the searching question.
Finally, the answer. Pray, pray, pray.
I’d spent the last five years grumbling.
Life’s unfair, everything’s out of whack.
Blaming others for my ineptness.
Always the one ready to attack.
Seeking the Lord at my lowest.
Sure everything would be solved.
Funny, my attitude didn’t change.
His refining fire needed to evolve.
Flames lapping at my backside.
Screaming out loud for any relief.
Heavenly Father, where are You?
I’m sinking in this man-made grief.
His answer came amid continued gripes.
The Lord’s words penned cleansed my soul.
The message, His gift, became clear.
Daughter, let go, I AM in control.

No comments: