Friday, January 29, 2010

FRESH START - PART 2

In my blogs this year I’m going to keep with the theme I started in the one I sent December 31. Some of you may remember from that entry I proclaimed, “The only way to get started is to BEGIN.” And that’s exactly what I did. . . on January 5.

Now you’re probably wondering what happened to the first four days of the New Year. Let’s just say I excluded them because I had other important things to do. First, I had to get ready to celebrate my birthday on January 3, and then it took me one whole day to get over the fact that I’m OLD.

Anyway, back to my theme for 2010. To begin I knew I needed something to jumpstart my writing. And PROMPTS (which you know I love) would do the trick. With them, the possibilities are endless. They give me the freedom to write whatever pops into my head.

Without delay I went to my bookshelf and picked up A Writer’s Book of Days (thanks SW) and found the prompt for January 5. The entry read: Write about a day moon. A day moon? Not exactly the subject I’d have chosen to inspire me, but if anything could get my creative juices flowing—this would. Only one problem, I couldn’t remember the last time I’d seen a day moon. Guess I’d have to make something up (oh, isn’t that what writers do? HA!).

Here’s the little snippet I came up with:

The bright morning revealed an unexpected surprise. The almost translucent moon sat high above me. Not yet settled in the western sky. Not ready to dip to its final resting place. Not visible unless one took the time to glance heavenward. . .

My fingers continued to type. In the end, I wrote a devotional about my Heavenly Father's handiwork. His creation we sometimes miss because we are in such a hurry to see what's next.

Well, gotta run and see where the next prompt leads me. Maybe another devotional. A poem. A short story. I don’t know, but whatever it is—the Lord never ceases to amaze me on this journey called writing.

Bon voyage,
nettie

PS: Take it from me - prompts can jumpstart your writing too. Why don't you give them a try today.

3 comments:

Connie Brzowski said...

Day moon! I love your take on that-- you have a beautiful, poetic style :)

Connie Brzowski (from Denver)

Sharen Watson said...

Beautiful, Janetta... Love the imagery. And, you're welcome (regarding Writers Book of Days :-). Love you, girl. And do me a favor, will you? Bring that blurb tomorrow for our group, okay? It goes right along with our lesson :-)

dwanreed said...

I've heard wonderful things about this book. I need to pick up a copy. My problem is I have so many ideas about what to write, but I'm not sure if they are topics others want to hear. I guess we don't know until we take a stab at our computer and bring an idea to life.