Tuesday, February 05, 2008

PERSEVERENCE

I do believe I’ve just had a light bulb moment. The sad part is it’s taken me quite some time to discover this little nugget. I know you’re all wondering what I’ve found, so I won’t keep you in suspense any longer – it’s. . .

PERSEVERENCE PRODUCES POLISHED PIECES FOR PUBLICATION. (say that 3 times without a hanky!! Oh my goodness)

James 1:2-4 sums it up best. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Each one of us face trials every day. And as writers, we deal with more than our fair share of them (do I hear an AMEN?). Every time I send something out to the different publishing houses, it’s a test of my faith. Did they receive what I submitted? Will they be interested in my novel, short story or poem? If I don’t hear a response, do I assume I can send my work out to someone else? Boy, this writing is hard work! I’m not having very much fun.

But wait, didn’t I just read in the verse that I’m to ‘consider it pure joy’ whenever we go through trials of ‘many kinds’. YES, I guess I did. Sounds like the Lord is telling me to change my attitude. Be joyful. Rejoice in the trials I’m going through because I’m developing PERSEVERENCE. Isn’t that the very thing I need to be a writer? Isn’t that the very thing I need to help me resend my work after I’ve revamped it and reworked it? Isn’t that the very thing I need to polish my pieces for possible publication?

YOU BET IT IS!!! ‘Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.’

Praise the Lord!
nettie

5 comments:

Melisa said...

Ah yes, very timely for me. Thanks!

DebbieDoesLife said...

That's making lemonade out of some sour old lemons!

Unknown said...

AMEN!!

I think we forget the Joy part when we're in the midst of learning perserverance part!

Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Janetta, my children used to sing this little song about perseverance. It's easier to sing about than to do! But God somehow keeps us focused on the goal (and that gives us the determination to persevere). I think I know you better than you know yourself, sometimes. You've got a lot more stamina than you think. And you're certainly far more talented than you think you are. (Just my two cents worth...)

Love you, girl!

Annette O’Hare said...

So what are you trying to say? I shouldn't chuck another novel and start over from scratch?